Today is Thanksgiving in the United States. Thanksgiving isn’t a holiday Australians are experienced in, but its meaning can (and should be) applied worldwide.
Traditionally, Thanksgiving is a day of giving thanks for the blessing of the harvest and the preceding year, however it is a good time also to reflect on everything else in your life that you are thankful for. Here is a list of some things that I am incredibly grateful for, today and every day:
- Family: the strongest human bond you can share. I am so grateful for the closeness I have with my family, despite living on the other side of the world
- Friends, both old and new
- My boyfriend and his unfaltering love and support
- The opportunity to move overseas, to New York, and forge a brand new life
- Being able to give up a job and career that didn’t fulfil me and work in an industry that does
- Experiencing new things, meeting new people and facing new challenges
- Connecting with people, sharing their dreams and watching them grow
- Discovering and learning everyday
- Reading new books, seeing new ways of thinking, and understanding and appreciating the world in different ways
- Being lucky enough to have fresh, healthy food available to cook and eat every day
At the end of the day, I am simply grateful for all the people, things and experiences that make up the richness of life. Each day is unique, and presents a new opportunity to further our dreams, be compassionate, show love and connect with people, both individually and together.
What are you thankful for today and always?