I get it – office jobs don’t exactly provide the best environment to stay moving. Luckily, there are quite a few ways in which you can keep your body in motion longer, hence burning more energy, even if you are office bound.
- Take the stairs: Seems like a no-brainer but it is remarkable how many people choose the lazy option. Stairs are everywhere, from the subway station, to the office, to your apartment building. An added bonus? You will probably get to your destination more quickly, as everyone else picks the easier (and slower) option.
- Do squats at random times during the day: Squat while you’re in the shower, while brushing your teeth, or while in the office bathroom. If you have an office in which you can shut the door, do squats while you’re on the phone. The more the merrier, so squeeze in a few sets wherever you can.
- Spend more time standing up: Stand up while on the phone. Suggest walking meetings with colleagues and clients instead of boardroom meetings. Meet a friend for a walk at lunch, instead of sitting down for a coffee. Just keep moving.
- Do pushups and sit ups while watching TV: Or if that is too much of a commitment, do some exercises in the ad break. Get cosy with your coffee table and use it to do tricep dips in your downtime.
- Spend some time cleaning your house: A quick clean up can get the juices flowing. Scrub that bathtub, vacuum those carpets and wash those windows.
You don’t have to be actively exercising to burn calories. Little things count too, so incorporate these ideas into your daily regime to up the ante on your calorie burning.