Fad diets don’t work. We all know that. While they may help us drop a few pounds quickly, they are not a long-term solution. Losing weight sensibly and sustainably involves making small lifestyle changes that then become habits. Follow the guide below as a healthy way to kick start your weight loss.
1. Create a healthy eating schedule
Without this, the rest of it can’t come into place. This means you cannot skip meals.
- Eat 3 main meals per day.
- Try not to go over three to four hours without eating.
- Remember: food is fuel.
- Get 7 hours of sleep. If you’re up late at night, you will eat more.
2. Brighten your plate naturally
- Add an extra vegetable to lunch.
- Start dinner with a salad. It helps fill you up and means you will be less likely to overeat.
- Add an extra vegetable to dinner. Half of your plate should be vegetables, one quarter carbohydrate and one quarter lean protein.
3. Think before you drink
- Try to drink 8 glasses of water per day. Remember, hunger is often mistaken with thirst. Next time you reach for a snack, have a large glass of water instead.
- Drink seltzer or club soda if you don’t enjoy just plain water.
- Ditch the fancy coffee drinks.
- Be smart about alcohol. This adds up.
4. Give your carbs a makeover
Understand portion control. It is okay to eat pasta occasionally, but make it a side or accompaniment to your vegetables/lean protein.
- Increase your fibre intake at breakfast. We need to consume 25-30g of fibre per day.
- Read food labels.
- Re-do your rice. Try to learn about new grains, such as quinoa, which is higher in protein.
- Slim your potatoes: roast with olive oil, instead of frying.
5. Go easy on the extras
- Make savoury swaps for old standbys
- Ask for dressing on the side.
- Use veggies as an extra.
Make the healthy choice at each opportunity and you will find yourself on the path to natural weight loss.
If you like this post and would like to read more like these, be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Google+