Whilst we all find comfort in habits, there's nothing like doing something completely scary and out of our comfort zones to get the blood pumping and the vitality flowing.
Regularly placing ourselves in situations outside of our comfort zones challenges us to step beyond those ingrained patterns we have established in our lives, and the benefits can be numerous - from meeting new people and forging new friendships, to new career opportunities or simply just taking on a completely different perspective on the world.
Doing things differently doesn't always have to mean making huge changes or taking mammoth leaps of faith either. There are so many little things you can do today to put yourself out there and encourage growth.
Here is a list of 20 things - little actions or mindset changes you can make - to alter your perspective on life and perhaps reap the benefits along the way:
- Eat dinner at a restaurant solo. Without your phone.
- Go to the movies alone.
- Go a whole day without your phone / social media / news.
- Strike up a conversation with a stranger.
- Call someone you haven't spoken to in over a year. No emails or texts, actually call, and reconnect.
- Lean in to your fear.
- Do one thing per day that brings you closer to your dream life.
- Have that difficult conversation. Face-to-face.
- Say yes to something hard – that new project at work, that new gym class.
- Say no to something you don’t want to do.
- Do the work – stay late, pitch in
- Change your routine. Exercise at night instead of first thing, cook a new meal, go vegan for a week, give up sugar. TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT.
- Start a blog.
- Ask someone out on a date.
- Keep your promises. Do what you say you are going to do. (I know – scary, right?)
- Ask the hard questions. No more skim-the-surface conversations, ask the raw questions.
- Go to a networking event and aim to meet one new person.
- Stop talking about yourself. Actually listen.
- Go one day without complaining about anything at all.
- Take off your mask. Tell someone something you’ve never revealed to anyone.
What can you do differently today that scares you?