I love fries. I also love sweet potatoes. So, then, combining these two delectable things into one food is music to my ears.
Sweet potato fries are everywhere in America. Sweet potatoes are actually a much healthier alternative than traditional white potatoes. They are lower in starch and carbohydrates than traditional potatoes as well as being lower GI. Their orange colour also means they harbour many health benefits including high levels of vitamin B6 and high levels of iron. They are also a good source of vitamin C, vitamin D and magnesium.
The best thing about sweet potato fries however is that they are super simple (and cheap) to make yourself at home. The home made version is also, as always, a lot healthier for you than store-bought varieties which are soaked in less than desirable oils and then deep fried.
Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp. fresh ground cinnamon
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (I have also used truffle oil and they are to die for!)
- Himalayan pink salt
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into the French fry-style sticks.
- Place in pan and drizzle with oil of choice.
- Sprinkle on the cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Turn them over at half way. (All ovens are different so keep your eye on them. I personally like mine crispy so cook mine for a little longer). They should be a golden colour when ready.
- Serve hot with dipping sauce below, if desired.
Optional dipping sauce
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp. tahini
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Splash of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle of paprika